Human hair comes in all sorts of types and textures as well as colours. We have long and straight, short and curly, course hair, fine hair, flyaway and frizzy hair, which can be normal, dry, combination or greasy and of course there is black, brown, blonde, and red hair with all the different shades in between.
There is such diversity in human hair and a lot of money spent on products to promote healthy natural looking hair, there are products for every single hair type you can think of but again and again we come across the same problems. No, not many of us can boast that we have never had a bad hair day.
So how do we promote natural looking hair? Well, what we have to do is look at what natural hair care is and what natural hair care involves.
What is natural hair care?
Natural hair care involves handling your hair gently, and not subjecting it to harsh chemicals, elements or treatments, which in this day and age of mass consumerism, advertising and the media can be harder than it sounds. Too many products contain chemicals that are less than ideal when it comes to natural hair care and just because something is labelled as natural, doesn’t necessarily mean that it is.
Also, it has become normal practice to indulge in straightening, curling, perming, and colouring, relaxing and bleaching hair, all of which can play havoc with the condition of your hair. Yes you might have immediate results that you are pleased with as far as appearances go but over time your hair will suffer.
Hair consists primarily of protein, and therefore to have hair that is in tip top condition, you need to be putting natural protein enriched products on your hair and avoiding everything that is going to put extra stress on your hair.
What does natural hair care involve?
In order for your hair to look and feel as natural as possible, and to encourage healthy hair growth, then as part of your natural hair care regime you need to consider the following:
• Try to stay out of the hot sun as much as possible but if this is unavoidable, make sure you wear a hat or a protective scarf when in the sun and to use products that contain a natural sun screen. The sun will dry out your hair.
• Avoid the use of harsh chemicals in any products you buy and stick to products that contain only natural ingredients. Don’t be tempted to buy any product containing mineral oils or petroleum based ingredients as this will clog up the pores and prevent your sebaceous glands from secreting natural body oils which will condition your hair. Clogged up pores can also encourage hair loss.
• If you need to colour or lighten your hair then it is better to use dyes containing natural colourings like henna and not bleach. Chemicals strip your hair of its natural oils and damage the hair making it look and feel more like straw rather than the soft silky tresses you would expect in natural hair.
• Limit the use of heating appliances such as straighteners, hair dryers and curling tongs as the temperatures of some heating appliances can be much higher than what your hair can naturally withstand. The result over time is dull looking hair brittle hair with split ends.
• If you use a swimming pool or Jacuzzi then you are going to come into contact with chlorine which can damage your hair. Similarly when down at the beach, if you swim in the sea then your hair is going to come into contact with a lot of salt which can sap moisture. Make sure you wear a swimming cap.
• Never use elastic bands on your hair, these can pull your hair and catch it, go for cloth covered bands or scrunchies, these are ideal and will not put unnecessary stress on your hair.
• Don’t be tempted to wash your hair too frequently, particularly if your hair tends to be on the dry side. Use mild shampoos, good quality conditioners and don’t rub your hair too hard with a towel afterwards. Gently pat your hair dry and if possible allow it to dry naturally in the air.
• Following a natural hair care regime for an extended period of time should take care of most of the hair problems you might have such as excessively dry or greasy hair or hair that looks dull and lifeless. However, if your hair is severely damaged with numerous split ends and breakages, then there is not really much you can do other than to cut it and wait for new growth.
Hair grows at an average rate of about half an inch per month so if you’re doing all the right things you can expect six inches of brand new healthy natural looking hair after as little as a year.
Pure EPA Essential Oil Blend
(Box of 60 capsules)
*Pure EPA is a powerful pharmaceutical grade omega 3 fish oil
*A unique product containing the purest form of ethyl EPA fish oil in the UK
|Qty||Normal price||Discounted price|
|Free delivery on 6 bottles or more|
Retail Price £11.90 SALE Only £9.99
Essential oil Pure EPA is available exclusively from mind 1st. Mind1st Information Line: 01772 877925